Historically the Anglican Diocese of Winchester has been linked with the Anglican Province of Burma (now Myanmar) since 1877, and with the old Province of Uganda (now divided into the provinces of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Congo) since 1977.
Some years ago a pattern of partnership was devised so that each Deanery in the Diocese of Winchester is linked with a Province or Diocese stemming from these historic links. Those relationships are outlined below:
- Alresford Deanery is linked with Diocese of Lango in Uganda
- Alton Deanery is linked with the Diocese of Karamoja in Uganda
- Andover Deanery is linked with the Diocese of Madi – West Nile in Uganda
- Basingstoke Deanery is linked with Namirembe Diocese in Kampala, Uganda (not currently active) Namirembe Cathedral is linked to Winchester Cathedral.
- Bournemouth Deanery is is linked with Soroti Diocese in Uganda
- Christchurch Deanery is linked with Kinkiizi Diocese in Uganda
- Eastleigh Deanery is linked with Bukedi Diocese in Uganda
- Guernsey Deanery is linked with the Provice of Burundi
- Jersey Deanery is linked with the Province of Congo
- Lyndhurst Deanery is linked with the Province of Rwanda and there is information about MU work there on this blog here
- Odiham Deanery is linked with the Diocese of Bunjoro-Kitara in Uganda
- Romsey Deanery is linked with the Diocese of South Rwenzori in Uganda
- Southampton Deanery is linked to the Diocese of Busoga in Uganda
- Whitchurch Deanery is linked to the Diocese of Mityana in Uganda
- Winchester Deanery is linked with the Diocese of Muhabura and North Kigezi in Uganda
There are also local churches in the Diocese that actively support Christians in the Anglican Province of Myanmar
Some local groups of Mothers’ Union members within the Diocese of Winchester maintain active links with members in these countries and diocese, or maintain other international links that have often developed via personal contacts.
If you have news of Mothers’ Union work in any of these areas, we would love to hear about it, so please do contact us.